Need An Opinion - Gunner Forum
Gunner Forum

Need An Opinion

This is a discussion on Need An Opinion within the CCW forums, part of the Gunner Forum category; Many people buy handguns directly from individuals, where the law allows. The newly bought gun is not registered to the new owner. So, lets say ...


Go Back   Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > CCW

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
RidgeRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Buck Ridge, Georgia
Posts: 3,441
Need An Opinion

Many people buy handguns directly from individuals, where the law allows. The newly bought gun is not registered to the new owner.

So, lets say you are driving down the road and get stopped by the law for a bad brake light. The law asks if you have a gun and you say yes. He runs the gun and finds it is not registered in your name. Are you at risk of losing this gun? If so, it would behove us to conceal carry only with a weapon that is registered to you.
RidgeRunner is offline  
Register

Welcome to Gunner Forum - a friendly gun forum for gun owners.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Gunner Forum family!

Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2015
From: SW Virginia
Posts: 427
I'm puzzled, as none of my guns are "Registered".

I'd be surprised to learn that Registration is mandatory in Georgia, but let me know if I'm wrong, lol.
Cowboy Gun Fan is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,271
Don't know the law in your neck of the woods for transfer or registration. North Carolina does not have a gun registration law. So the officer has to take my word that it is my gun and has no reason to take it or run any check. As long as my drivers license and carry permit are valid I am legal.
In Georgia you are not required to inform the officer if you are carrying. Here in NC we are required to. I was stopped once and told the officer. His response was "thank you" that was it.

I have a very good app that gives the ccw laws for all 50 states. It also gives good information for each states firearm laws. With links to just about everything related to firearms law in each state. I check each state I will be traveling to before crossing the state line.
I believe there is a version for android as well as Apple. It is called simply CCW cost is $ 1.99 and worth it and then some.

Last edited by RetiredSeabee; 02-16-2016 at 05:10 AM.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
 
Old 02-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Terry_P's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Where it's warm
Posts: 10,501
Unless the seller reports it stolen the police won't have a record of it. There is the form 4473 filled out at time of sale but those are only retained for 25 years. If the gun were found at a crime scene they may attempt find out the original purchaser and trace it but for a traffic stop if it's not reported stolen then that is as far as it goes. You should ask for a bill of sale when you buy it.

Some states do register firearms and they are not where I choose to live.
Terry_P is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 6,001
The Federal forms you fill out in a gun shop when you buy a gun are not registration. The information on those forms can only be used in criminal investigations under very strict guidelines and requires a request to the BFTA. That information is protected under a privacy act. An LEO who stops you has no access to that information, not even close. As Terry said, the only data base an LEO could search is one kept for reported stolen firearms.

We always get a bill of sale from a private seller and are very cautious about buying guns from people we don't know. We ask a lot of questions. Common sense will tell you if something about the seller does't seem right.
north country gal is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RidgeRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Buck Ridge, Georgia
Posts: 3,441
I have a friend who says "don't tell me what you think, tell me what you know."
My thoughts went with the advice everyone is giving me, but now I know.
Thanks for answering my question.
RidgeRunner is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
gunjunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Texas Panhandle.
Posts: 3,830
I wish there was an easy way to check if a gun was stolen before buyin one.
We were huntin pheasant one year and a Game Warden checked our licenses and guns. Sure enough, one of my buddy's nephew had a shotgun that was reported stolen.
There were no charges, he was just out the money he paid for it. He had bought it over 10 years prior from a Pawn Shop, that was no longer in business. Likely as not, they had been involved in other shady dealings.
gunjunkie is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
Don't know the law in your neck of the woods for transfer or registration. North Carolina does not have a gun registration law. So the officer has to take my word that it is my gun and has no reason to take it or run any check. As long as my drivers license and carry permit are valid I am legal.
In Georgia you are not required to inform the officer if you are carrying. Here in NC we are required to. I was stopped once and told the officer. His response was "thank you" that was it.

I have a very good app that gives the ccw laws for all 50 states. It also gives good information for each states firearm laws. With links to just about everything related to firearms law in each state. I check each state I will be traveling to before crossing the state line.
I believe there is a version for android as well as Apple. It is called simply CCW cost is $ 1.99 and worth it and then some.
I've found that these websites aren't accurate. If you want the real information go to the state's attorney general website.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bearcatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Virginia
Posts: 3,935
I've always been leery of private sale, and only bought used guns at LGS. So I have paperwork of the sale.
bearcatter is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I've always been leery of private sale, and only bought used guns at LGS. So I have paperwork of the sale.
I don't buy from strangers unless I go through an FFL. But with Washington's new law I have to go through an FFL no matter what.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
gunjunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Texas Panhandle.
Posts: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I've always been leery of private sale, and only bought used guns at LGS. So I have paperwork of the sale.
I like buying from individuals, so there is no paper trail. Just in case they try and round up our guns down the road. I do have the seller hand write a receipt, though.
gunjunkie is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Lithgow View Post
I've found that these websites aren't accurate. If you want the real information go to the state's attorney general website.
This one is not a website. It is updated with the latest law changes from each state. And is very accurate.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2015
From: SW Virginia
Posts: 427
I like private sales too, it's just that they never have the ones I want, lol.

But if I did go that way on any, I would definitely have a detailed Bill of Sale along with any other info I could attach to it. The more info the better.
Cowboy Gun Fan is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
This one is not a website. It is updated with the latest law changes from each state. And is very accurate.
What is it? A book?
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Lithgow View Post
What is it? A book?
It is an app. Short for application so it stays on the device it is downloaded to. It is updated by the group that developed it. So they update each state from the resources available from each state. Such as the Attorney generals site. They keep track of pending legislation and as soon as a state changes it's status they update with the latest information.
I have used it for the last 3 years and it updates every time I open it. You get a summary of what is new and I check that against information that I know is accurate and it is always current.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
It is an app. Short for application so it stays on the device it is downloaded to. It is updated by the group that developed it. So they update each state from the resources available from each state. Such as the Attorney generals site. They keep track of pending legislation and as soon as a state changes it's status they update with the latest information.
I have used it for the last 3 years and it updates every time I open it. You get a summary of what is new and I check that against information that I know is accurate and it is always current.
Thanks.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
I only buy guns from people I know or I use a FFL . I've had only 1 stolen gun in the many 1000's of gun deals I made in my life and I knew the 2 owner before I got it . I traded it to a pawn shop and it can back stolen and his nephew traded to me almost a year before . He paid his uncle for the stolen gun and he got his money back from his buddy and mine who sold it to him almost 2 yrs before .
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Gunny G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: NC
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunjunkie View Post
I wish there was an easy way to check if a gun was stolen before buyin one.
We were huntin pheasant one year and a Game Warden checked our licenses and guns. Sure enough, one of my buddy's nephew had a shotgun that was reported stolen.
There were no charges, he was just out the money he paid for it. He had bought it over 10 years prior from a Pawn Shop, that was no longer in business. Likely as not, they had been involved in other shady dealings.
http://www.hotgunz.com/

http://www.stolenlostfound.org/stole...serial-numbers

http://stolen911.com/?s=&scat=40&cp_...ine_search=yes
Gunny G is offline  
Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
gunjunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Texas Panhandle.
Posts: 3,830
Much obliged, Gunny.
I saved those sites.
gunjunkie is offline  
Reply

  Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > CCW

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Gunner Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need your opinion CO Cowboy Survival 21 06-10-2014 02:30 PM
What is your opinion? Terry_P Double Action Revolvers 14 07-29-2008 06:38 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List


Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Gunner Forum. All rights reserved.