Good Gun Cleaning - Gunner Forum
Gunner Forum

Good Gun Cleaning

This is a discussion on Good Gun Cleaning within the Gun Care forums, part of the Gunner Forum category; From Somebody you all trust...< ) Note The Main Ingreediant In Any Good Gun Cleaning Job... Cleaning a Semi-Auto Pistol Also apply's to most any ...


Go Back   Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > Gun Care

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 224
Good Gun Cleaning

From Somebody you all trust...<)
Note The Main Ingreediant In Any Good Gun Cleaning Job...
Cleaning a Semi-Auto Pistol
Also apply's to most any other Gun you may have...
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu47.htm
SgtKnuckles is offline  
Register

Welcome to Gunner Forum - a friendly gun forum for gun owners.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Gunner Forum family!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Sun City, AZ
Posts: 1,354
Re: Good Gun Cleaning

Good link Sarge. I learned the value of WD-40 in about Apr 1970 at a time lives were at stake when guns didn't work. WD-40 kept our guns working. On some of the forums there are those who don't like the stuff and preach against it claiming it collects dirt and grime and actually fouls guns. Those folks have obviously never been to far from their shop living in laterite without the convienance of a handy solvent tank. WD-40 was magic in '70 and while it is easy to spend more on products claiming to do the same job, I WOULDN'T.

Cheers and Beers and stay out of the trees
Chance
chance is offline  
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
Re: Good Gun Cleaning

check out what I posted.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4005&p=44457#p44457
tx gun runner is offline  
 
Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Sun City, AZ
Posts: 1,354
Re: Good Gun Cleaning

You got it Gunrunner.
chance is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 224
Re: Good Gun Cleaning

Notice I didn't ask you to believe what I have to say... I just lead you to the people with the Real Knowledge...

Note: The Gunner at "Box O Truth" is a "GOD" around here...<)
Follow his lead when cleaning, and finish-up with the Best in the link below...
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu47.htm

Now in the Link below... Testing, Testing, and your Question is answered...
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
SgtKnuckles is offline  
Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: hyd
Posts: 2
You can find many relevant articles on gun cleaning on the following blog
http://www.nraguncare.com/blog/
kingmluther is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Good link Sarge. I learned the value of WD-40 in about Apr 1970 at a time lives were at stake when guns didn't work. WD-40 kept our guns working. On some of the forums there are those who don't like the stuff and preach against it claiming it collects dirt and grime and actually fouls guns. Those folks have obviously never been to far from their shop living in laterite without the convienance of a handy solvent tank. WD-40 was magic in '70 and while it is easy to spend more on products claiming to do the same job, I WOULDN'T.

Cheers and Beers and stay out of the trees
Chance
I was there with ya in 69-70 but won't touch the stuff now. Sometimes all we had was diesel fuel. When you don't have what you need you use what you have.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nutty Ned's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: NC
Posts: 580
I used to use WD-40 and still do for removing lead from a shotgun barrel with a brass brush and the barrel removed from the action.

I stopped using it on moving parts when the gun stopped working. It was a REM Sportsman mod 52.
I had to take the action bars out, An action that Rem cautioned not to do and found that the problem was several rubbery balls of gunk seizing up the action.

A switch to break free and the gun is still working.
Nutty Ned is offline  
Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
I've been using this for 20 years in guns and the auto repair business . Read the reviews , 82 five stars , it is the best and there is no other stuff works better then this . Sweets is great on copper , but don't leave it in barrel too long and Hoppe is good if you leave it in the gun over night .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137...m_vc=U011Swing

Last edited by tx gun runner; 02-09-2012 at 05:00 AM.
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gunny G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: NC
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx gun runner View Post
I've been using this for 20 years in guns and the auto repair business . Read the reviews , 82 five stars , it is the best and there is no other stuff works better then this . Sweets is great on copper , but don't leave it in barrel too long and Hoppe is good if you leave it in the gun over night .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137...m_vc=U011Swing
I've actually used some before.
Wow, on sale for 7.50. That's inexpensive, a good price I think.

I use a lot of CLP. I have like a gallon of it left I think. I also have other cleaning and lubricating compounds

So, Do you punch the bore with lubricant on a patch afterwards?
.
Gunny G is offline  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
I only leave Hoppe's in my bores only and I run a wet and dry one before shooting . I don't use any lubes in my bores . Hoppe will lift any lead or copper if you missed some on your cleaning if stored with it and will NEVER hurt a barrel .
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: East Coast
Posts: 56
I have often used WD-40 with good results. I also find Simple Green works very well. I use it on my AR....As far as store bought solvents go, I now skip them since I discovered Ed's Red. I can make a gallon of it for the cost of a pint of the store bought stuff.
RugerFan is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
I have often used WD-40 with good results. I also find Simple Green works very well. I use it on my AR....As far as store bought solvents go, I now skip them since I discovered Ed's Red. I can make a gallon of it for the cost of a pint of the store bought stuff.
I've used plain automatic transmission fluid before and it works great. Never made Ed's Red but I understand its mostly transmission fluid.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
I use ATF in my black powder gun barrels and locks if I'm going to be shoot them within 4 or 6 weeks .
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx gun runner View Post
I use ATF in my black powder gun barrels and locks if I'm going to be shoot them within 4 or 6 weeks .
I didn't know they had automatic transmissions back in the black powder days.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Lithgow View Post
I didn't know they had automatic transmissions back in the black powder days.
They painted there horse hoofs with it for a smooth get away .......
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx gun runner View Post
They painted there horse hoofs with it for a smooth get away .......
Makes sense to me.
303Lithgow is offline  
Reply

  Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > Gun Care


Search tags for this page
best gunner cleaner and lubricant
,
glock 17 barrel cleanner
,

good gun cleaner

,
good gun cleaners
,
good gun cleaners for glock 23
,
good gun degreaser
,
good.gun cleaners
,
is break free barrel cleaner good
,
is fuel injection cleaner good for rifel gun barrel cleaners
,
what is a good gun cleaner
,
what is a good gun cleaner for nickel barrels
,
whats a good gun cleaner
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Gunner Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning tips JOHNNY WACKO Gun Care 17 11-27-2012 10:23 AM
cleaning up Ornery Survival 2 08-14-2011 08:36 PM
wood cleaning Cast&amp;Blast Gun Care 16 10-11-2008 05:53 AM
case cleaning velvalco Reloading 11 05-01-2008 08:52 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List


Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Gunner Forum. All rights reserved.