Gunner Forum

Gunner Forum (https://gunnerforum.com/forums.php)
-   Hunting (https://gunnerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2 Moose (https://gunnerforum.com/showthread.php?t=12890)

Old Jack 01-07-2014 10:38 AM

2 Moose
 
1 Attachment(s)
how about these beauties ?
Attachment 1434

north country gal 01-07-2014 11:03 AM

That's a truck load of moose, to be sure. We have some moose in our area, but they're not doing too well of late due to a parasite problem.

Old Jack 01-07-2014 11:20 AM

those were taken up near my camp....not by me though. we have no shortage in the area for sure. more moose up there than people. my favorite place on earth.

RetiredSeabee 01-07-2014 12:37 PM

People down here would poop if they saw anything that big in the woods.

Old Jack 01-07-2014 12:57 PM

hahaha....my favorite pastime is moose watching. I spend many hours in the woods.

north country gal 01-07-2014 02:19 PM

One of our biologists told me that moose don't do well in areas with a lot of deer because deer carry parasites that don't bother them much, but are really tough on moose. We do see a moose, now and then, but we definitely have deer … and wolves and bobcats and cougars and fishers and otters and, definitely, bears. Love our north woods.

Old Jack 01-07-2014 02:39 PM

i love the woods too.......we have many deer where my home is in central maine. up north we have everything else. no grizzly's though, but plenty of black bear. it's only an hour and 15 minutes to camp from home, but a very different worls for sure. 18 miles from the canadien border. population 800 in jackman.

303Lithgow 01-07-2014 02:50 PM

We don't have many moose around here although there have been reports of them. Great picture.

Old Jack 01-07-2014 03:03 PM

you all should come up for a visit.....you are guaranteed to feel welcomed and relaxed......here's a link to jackman

http://www.jackmanmaine.org/

Bustah_c 01-07-2014 05:23 PM

Wow! What a great pic.

They say the Moose population here in NH is on the decline. Last 2 winters not cold enough and lack of snow. Looks like results should be better this year with all the snow and cold so far. Fish and game are concerned about ticks on moose. Should be interesting results of the study.

Our deer season yielded the 4th largest kill on record. Perhaps there is something to the too many deer = less moose.....

NCLEO89 01-07-2014 06:32 PM

Color me impressed! Being a Southern boy, I've never seen a moose, other than on TV. But I can easily believe that moose/car collisions are often fatal for whomever is driving the car. :(

rman43 01-08-2014 03:12 AM

Those are some big old boys! No moose in Kansas and the deer population is declining due to Chronic Wasting Disease. I live close to a Corps of Engineers lake and state park. I used to see groups of 20 or more, but this year I'm lucky to see more than 2 or 3 in a group. I hope the deer herd revives and the turkey flocks develop something similar to CWD. We are over-run by turkeys and they have decimated the quail and pheasant populations in this area.

KimberLover 01-08-2014 04:26 AM

In our area the deer are abundant.
Hunting restrictions have caused the populations to increase to uncontroled proportions.
Coyotes are increasing to the point that although they travel to find food they are taking a toll on domestic dogs, cats and cattle.
Seems like hunters are getting older and the younger group are struggling to make a living.
The more we turn to industry, the more it seems that hunting is set aside.
The deer have found that gardens are their favorite places to gorge themselves during the summer.

north country gal 01-08-2014 05:42 AM

We have to deal with deer eating everything we try to plant in the yard. Can't be done without fencing everything we plant. I should be grateful it's not a moose problem. :)

Terry_P 01-10-2014 07:19 AM

188 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bustah_c (Post 174656)
Wow! What a great pic.

They say the Moose population here in NH is on the decline. Last 2 winters not cold enough and lack of snow. Looks like results should be better this year with all the snow and cold so far. Fish and game are concerned about ticks on moose. Should be interesting results of the study.

Our deer season yielded the 4th largest kill on record. Perhaps there is something to the too many deer = less moose.....

Hey I did my part and got two deer in NH this year. I like watching moose as well. We head up to Lake Francis in Pittsburg, NH.

Old Jack:

We used to camp at Lilly Bay State Park on Moosehead and had a lot of fun in the area. The moose would come out and feed on the vegetation under the water in the little coves. We canoed out and watched them from as close as I dared to get which was about 30 yards. In the evening we would head north to the dump and watch the bears.

tx gun runner 01-10-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry_P (Post 174737)
We canoed out and watched them from as close as I dared to get which was about 30 yards. In the evening we would head north to the dump and watch the bears.

In my part of the woods we drive down town and watch the bears arrest the Hookers and drug dealers ......

Old Jack 01-10-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry_P (Post 174737)
Hey I did my part and got two deer in NH this year. I like watching moose as well. We head up to Lake Francis in Pittsburg, NH.

Old Jack:

We used to camp at Lilly Bay State Park on Moosehead and had a lot of fun in the area. The moose would come out and feed on the vegetation under the water in the little coves. We canoed out and watched them from as close as I dared to get which was about 30 yards. In the evening we would head north to the dump and watch the bears.

that's a beautiful part of the state also

north country gal 01-10-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx gun runner (Post 174742)
In my part of the woods we drive down town and watch the bears arrest the Hookers and drug dealers ......

Around here, the bears eat them, along with dogs, cats and so on. One thing about bears, they ain't picky.

44s Rock 01-11-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Jack (Post 174653)
you all should come up for a visit.....you are guaranteed to feel welcomed and relaxed......here's a link to jackman

http://www.jackmanmaine.org/

Must be neat having a town named after you! :-D

Old Jack 01-11-2014 07:12 PM

it is 44....it is. if you watch that little tourist video, it does show what we have. population 800....moose triple that


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Gunner Forum. All rights reserved.