Is there a Forum in here for the .22 rifle? - Gunner Forum
Gunner Forum

Is there a Forum in here for the .22 rifle?

This is a discussion on Is there a Forum in here for the .22 rifle? within the Rifles forums, part of the Long Gun Forum category; EVERYONE should own at least one .22 rifle. A few days before I bought my Henry Big Boy, I bought this cool little survival / ...


Go Back   Gunner Forum > Long Gun Forum > Rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Member
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Colorado
Posts: 32
Is there a Forum in here for the .22 rifle?

EVERYONE should own at least one .22 rifle. A few days before I bought my Henry Big Boy, I bought this cool little survival / back packing .22 rifle. Check it out!

http://youtu.be/pI7iA0L9zCs
Augustus is offline  
Register

Welcome to Gunner Forum - a friendly gun forum for gun owners.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Gunner Forum family!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,267
That is pretty slick. I like that it comes with the rear peep sight. And they left enough room in front of the front post to have it threaded.
And apparently we don't have a 22 rifle specific forum.

Last edited by RetiredSeabee; 10-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
That was neat. We don't have a .22 specific area but we do have a lot of 22 fans here. I'm one of them.
303Lithgow is offline  
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
22s/rimfires? Between our handguns and rifles, we have 21 at the moment and I'll bet 303 can top that. I think the rimfire ammo makers could stay in business between 303 and us.

No, as 303 says, we don't have a separate forum on 22s, but a good chunk of the posts on this forum are about 22s.

Most of our rimfires are target grade guns because I'm an accuracy nut and we're both range rats. Have some nice lever gun rimfires, too. As a matter of fact, we braved the cold, yesterday, and got these two all sighted in.

The old and the new, a 1965 MKI and a brand new MKIII that I did an upgrade on the trigger. Both shot, superbly - well under an inch at 16 yards for five shots with the iron sights. Love my Marks.

north country gal is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tx gun runner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Ft Hood , Tx area
Posts: 11,626
I'm with NCG and 303 we don't need a 22 section . On Ruger forum I can't find anything on there web pages too many places to look . Sold all my 22 rifle and these were the last 2 I sold ..





I do have 22 pistol left






Last edited by tx gun runner; 10-26-2013 at 07:30 AM.
tx gun runner is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Machinist's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: McKinney, TX
Posts: 8,994
I didn't used to shoot .22s much as I could load .38 Specials for five cents a round and .44 Specials for seven to eight, and I liked the big thunder. Now it costs four times as much to load, I am lazy, and my hands like low recoil when the arthritis flares up so I have picked up some nice .22s and I look forward to shooting them more.

I have a Henry pump, a Marlin lever action 39A, and a few handguns. I can't even dream about shooting like Gunrunner or North Country Gal but I enjoy shooting, especially handguns. I have not really shot rifles much since the Jr ROTC rifle team. That was the stone age.

Post anywhere, whatever the caliber! It's all welcome.

My favorite .22, S&W Mod 17


Last edited by Machinist; 10-26-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Machinist is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by north country gal View Post
22s/rimfires? Between our handguns and rifles, we have 21 at the moment and I'll bet 303 can top that. I think the rimfire ammo makers could stay in business between 303 and us.

No, as 303 says, we don't have a separate forum on 22s, but a good chunk of the posts on this forum are about 22s.

Most of our rimfires are target grade guns because I'm an accuracy nut and we're both range rats. Have some nice lever gun rimfires, too. As a matter of fact, we braved the cold, yesterday, and got these two all sighted in.

The old and the new, a 1965 MKI and a brand new MKIII that I did an upgrade on the trigger. Both shot, superbly - well under an inch at 16 yards for five shots with the iron sights. Love my Marks.

I have a spreadsheet with all my firearms on it and know my total count but I've never counted them by caliber. Offhand I would say I'm well above 21 though. A decade ago I only had two as my collection was mainly mil-surps. My guess would be around 40 of my firearms would be 22's. I shoot 22's mostly now days and I'm looking at buying a couple more.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,267
TGR and NCG are feeding my I want one itch for target grade 22 hanguns. I do have a Henry 22 Mare's Leg partly influenced by 303. That I absolutely love to shoot. I am working on a homemade sling for it to improve my offhand shooting stability with it. My other little 22 is a Ruger SR22. It is a fun little gun but I wish I had saved up a little more and gotten A MarkII or III. I am looking for good used ones at a reasonable price.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
TGR and NCG are feeding my I want one itch for target grade 22 hanguns. I do have a Henry 22 Mare's Leg partly influenced by 303. That I absolutely love to shoot. I am working on a homemade sling for it to improve my offhand shooting stability with it. My other little 22 is a Ruger SR22. It is a fun little gun but I wish I had saved up a little more and gotten A MarkII or III. I am looking for good used ones at a reasonable price.
I've found the Mare's Leg is only so-so shooting offhand.........but it really comes into its own kneeling or sitting.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
TGR and NCG are feeding my I want one itch for target grade 22 hanguns. I do have a Henry 22 Mare's Leg partly influenced by 303. That I absolutely love to shoot. I am working on a homemade sling for it to improve my offhand shooting stability with it. My other little 22 is a Ruger SR22. It is a fun little gun but I wish I had saved up a little more and gotten A MarkII or III. I am looking for good used ones at a reasonable price.
Used Mark IIs are out there, Seabee, but, to be honest, they're often no cheaper than what a brand new Mark III costs, these days, assuming we're comparing the same models. Some folks get all in a dither about the Mark III lawyer proofing features, so the Mark IIs are bringing a premium. If the lawyer proofing features on a Mark III bother you (I can take or leave them) it's easy to disable them and convert your Mark III into a Mark II. I do very much like the mag release on the Mark III compared to the Mark II, though. t's where it should be on a Mark III, up on the grip, a la a 1911. For me, well worth the annoyance of the lawyer stuff.
north country gal is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by north country gal View Post
Used Mark IIs are out there, Seabee, but, to be honest, they're often no cheaper than what a brand new Mark III costs, these days, assuming we're comparing the same models. Some folks get all in a dither about the Mark III lawyer proofing features, so the Mark IIs are bringing a premium. If the lawyer proofing features on a Mark III bother you (I can take or leave them) it's easy to disable them and convert your Mark III into a Mark II. I do very much like the mag release on the Mark III compared to the Mark II, though. t's where it should be on a Mark III, up on the grip, a la a 1911. For me, well worth the annoyance of the lawyer stuff.
Thanks again your advice is greatly valued. I have found that most of the older Marks are at a premium especially in good condition. I don't mind the Lawyered up pistols. And I have read in a couple of posts in the Ruger forum that the newest Mark pistols may be easier to disassemble.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
And I have read in a couple of posts in the Ruger forum that the newest Mark pistols may be easier to disassemble.
Don't you believe it. Not sure where that one came from, but, if anything, the new production Mark IIIs, these days, are a tighter fit and can be very daunting for a first time Mark user to get apart. I know, because I've done a half dozen of these in the last few years, though it is very much hit and miss as far as one individual gun to the other. If anything, the older ones tend to be looser and easier to get apart. Not to worry, though, I'll be glad to help you if you get stuck.
north country gal is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,267
That is why I value your advice you have some hands on time with these pistols and you don't pull your punches. I would like to know your opinion on the Browning Buckmark. A LGS has a Pro Target model with a 5.5" inch barrel listed in very good condition with original box and paperwork, two magazines for $379. Sounds like a good deal to me.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
I'v never used a Buckmark and I'll say so, up front. I haven't used one because I don't care for aluminum/poly framed target pistols. For heavy range use, I very much prefer steel for the weight and balance, not to mention long term durability as well as looks. Take any Ruger Mark (22/45s being the exception) and you have a gun you could literally run over with a truck and they would still fire. No other 22 autoloading pistol has a better track record for a usable lifespan, either, not even the high dollar stuff such as the S&W 41, High Standards and so on. In fact, it is impossible to wear out a Ruger Mark to the point it cannot be salvaged with the replacement of a few simple parts. Some of these guns have gone hundreds of thousands of rounds without any replacement parts needed.

The Buckmark, though, has a good reputation as a shooter as do the S&W aluminum framed 22 pistols. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the way they shoot and the prices are quite reasonable. Beyond that, can't give you any in the hand review, sorry to say.
north country gal is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by north country gal View Post
I'v never used a Buckmark and I'll say so, up front. I haven't used one because I don't care for aluminum/poly framed target pistols. For heavy range use, I very much prefer steel for the weight and balance, not to mention long term durability as well as looks. Take any Ruger Mark (22/45s being the exception) and you have a gun you could literally run over with a truck and they would still fire. No other 22 autoloading pistol has a better track record for a usable lifespan, either, not even the high dollar stuff such as the S&W 41, High Standards and so on. In fact, it is impossible to wear out a Ruger Mark to the point it cannot be salvaged with the replacement of a few simple parts. Some of these guns have gone hundreds of thousands of rounds without any replacement parts needed.

The Buckmark, though, has a good reputation as a shooter as do the S&W aluminum framed 22 pistols. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the way they shoot and the prices are quite reasonable. Beyond that, can't give you any in the hand review, sorry to say.
Thanks again that is pretty much what I was thinking. I know the Rugers are solid. and I do want something that will hold up for years. I don't mind a mechanical challenge so the disassembly and reassembly I could get used to. The same shop has a Colt Woodsman with a 6 5/8" barrel that they list in good condition. They say they couldn't give it very good due to the previous owner doing a home made thread job on the barrel. It is priced at $450. It is tempting from what I have read about them they are supposed to be very good pistols. But for about the same price I can get a new SS Mark III Target, or save another 100 and get the Hunter or Competition model. I am still in the narrowing it down and window shopping phase right now. But if I happen to stumble across a good deal like you seem to have a knack for I will jump on it.
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
Someone threaded a Colt Woodsman? They ought to be hung. Ouch.

The Woodsman is a classic, classic pistol, but it is a Colt and you will be paying a premium for that name, alone. Parts, magazines and such will be very pricey, too and some parts will be very difficult to impossible to get, should you ever need them. As a lover of fine autoloading pistols, I'd love to have a Woodsman and I may yet add one to the collection, but, to be honest, going with a Ruger Mark, even an old Mark, is still going to be more practical and definitely more affordable.
north country gal is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
I know its not like owning a Mark but I like my 22/45 with the bull barrel. Its a very accurate pistol and will eat anything I feed it. I just can't run over it with a truck.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: northern wisconsin
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Lithgow View Post
I know its not like owning a Mark but I like my 22/45 with the bull barrel. Its a very accurate pistol and will eat anything I feed it. I just can't run over it with a truck.
As if you would. Nothing wrong with the 22/45, by the way. Just not my style.
north country gal is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
303Lithgow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Washington State
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by north country gal View Post
As if you would. Nothing wrong with the 22/45, by the way. Just not my style.
I bought it when I was shooting more military stuff and shoot it to practice for a 1911. I tend to shoot more lever and wheel guns now.
303Lithgow is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: USA
Posts: 508
I used to have just a few .22s. Then my grandson came to live with us. The list has grown:

Ruger Bearcat
Ruger Single Six Conv
Ruger Mk II Target
Ruger Mk III .22/45
Walther P22
S&W M&P .22
GSG 1911 .22 (2)

Marlin 39A
Marlin 70PSS
Henry H001
Henry H001T
Savage Mk II FV-SR
Remington 572 BDL
Remington 581
Remington 582

(List doesn't include a few .17 and .22 Mag rimfires)

Good grief! I didn't know we had that many until I started making this list.
rman43 is offline  
Reply

  Gunner Forum > Long Gun Forum > Rifles


Search tags for this page
22 handguns
,
22 rifle forum
,
22rifle
,
henry h001 trigger job
,
marlin 39a forum
,
marlin model 39 carbine
,
parts for a marlin 39-a
,
production of remington 582
,

remington 581 accuracy

,
remington 582 accuracy
,
remington 582 rifle teardown
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Gunner Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forum BS tx gun runner Gun Talk 4 10-15-2012 07:38 PM
New to the forum but not new to posting... Maximumbob54 New Users 8 01-08-2012 03:33 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List


Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Gunner Forum. All rights reserved.