Shaving Wood - Gunner Forum
Gunner Forum

Shaving Wood

This is a discussion on Shaving Wood within the Survival forums, part of the Gunner Forum category; I bought a new knife and wanted to learn to shave wood to start a campfire. So when I went camping recently, I tried shaving ...


Go Back   Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > Survival

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
Shaving Wood

I bought a new knife and wanted to learn to shave wood to start a campfire. So when I went camping recently, I tried shaving without watching any youtube or getting advice beforehand. Sightnguy knows that I like to try things by myself first, so he just watched me while I struggled.

(I was expecting the people in the next campsite to give me the evil eye when they saw the knife, but no rangers showed up.) (Good thing I didn't pull out the Glock knife which is a much bigger knife)

I ran the knife down one edge of the wood without much results so I tried a different edge & angle while shaving. Finally sucess! My strips weren't long, but did create nice enough little curly ends. However I felt it took a lot of effort & strength to accomplish what progress that I did make.

Next I turned the wood the other way & tried again. It was much easier & I had longer strips this time. I called it good & stopped before I cut myself. I didn't want Sightnguy to have the pleasure of getting the trauma bag & playing Dr. LOL

Today I got on Youtube & found this video that explained how the grain of the wood is crucial to getting a good shaving result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYZ8-Xhzx8
Sightngrl is offline  
Register

Welcome to Gunner Forum - a friendly gun forum for gun owners.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Gunner Forum family!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
RetiredSeabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Harrisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 4,270
Practicing your survival skills.
So when can we expect to see you on an episode of Naked and Afraid?
RetiredSeabee is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSeabee View Post
Practicing your survival skills.
So when can we expect to see you on an episode of Naked and Afraid?
Bwahahahahahah Ha Ha Ha I don't do nekked in the wild when there are things out there that can bite my things
Sightngrl is offline  
 
Old 06-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2014
From: colorado
Posts: 5,645
I carry a tube of pl-400 and the gun to use it. Never fails!
Dennis H is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bearcatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Virginia
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightngrl View Post
Bwahahahahahah Ha Ha Ha I don't do nekked in the wild when there are things out there that can bite my things
That takes all the fun out of camping! That's why they call it, "going back to nature", and "living in the wild". Unless you camp with a trailer, camp stove, lap top, and TV; but that's not camping.
bearcatter is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
44s Rock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Far Western WA.
Posts: 10,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
That takes all the fun out of camping! That's why they call it, "going back to nature", and "living in the wild". Unless you camp with a trailer, camp stove, lap top, and TV; but that's not camping.
+1
44s Rock is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bearcatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Virginia
Posts: 3,935
Nothing like standing "nekked" in an ice cold stream with a bar of soap and a cook pot to rinse with.

I can't imagine many of today's campers doing that, or using a real wood fire. In "real" camping, you carry everything in, and out, with a backpack. I met a guy once that had cut off half of his toothbrush handle, and drilled holes in the rest.
bearcatter is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Nothing like standing "nekked" in an ice cold stream with a bar of soap and a cook pot to rinse with.

I can't imagine many of today's campers doing that, or using a real wood fire. In "real" camping, you carry everything in, and out, with a backpack. I met a guy once that had cut off half of his toothbrush handle, and drilled holes in the rest.
Blonde moment
Sightngrl is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:18 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bearcatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Virginia
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightngrl View Post
Blonde moment
His toothbrush had half a handle, with three 1/4 inch holes in it, to make it lighter......duh.........backpackers obsess about weight. This guy took it to the extreme.
bearcatter is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
44s Rock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Far Western WA.
Posts: 10,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
That takes all the fun out of camping! That's why they call it, "going back to nature", and "living in the wild". Unless you camp with a trailer, camp stove, lap top, and TV; but that's not camping.
We use ours as a rolling tent mostly but do have to have our morning coffee! One of our club members will spend hours with his portable satellite dish trying to get TV service while we sit by a campfire and watch.
44s Rock is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
His toothbrush had half a handle, with three 1/4 inch holes in it, to make it lighter......duh.........backpackers obsess about weight. This guy took it to the extreme.
OHHhhhhhhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44s Rock View Post
We use ours as a rolling tent mostly but do have to have our morning coffee! One of our club members will spend hours with his portable satellite dish trying to get TV service while we sit by a campfire and watch.
No Tv allowed when camping.
Sightngrl is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
44s Rock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Far Western WA.
Posts: 10,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Nothing like standing "nekked" in an ice cold stream with a bar of soap and a cook pot to rinse with.

I can't imagine many of today's campers doing that, or using a real wood fire. In "real" camping, you carry everything in, and out, with a backpack. I met a guy once that had cut off half of his toothbrush handle, and drilled holes in the rest.
You would be surprised what you see when backpacking in the summer! There were several times we had to put blinders on the young Scouts when out and about!
44s Rock is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bearcatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Virginia
Posts: 3,935
I've run across a few ladies who saw no need for more than just shorts or even bikini bottoms on the trail, even in cooler weather. I'd guess they just enjoyed the freedom, didn't consider it being in public.

That was 25-30 years ago, I can imagine what goes today.
bearcatter is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I've run across a few ladies who saw no need for more than just shorts or even bikini bottoms on the trail, even in cooler weather. I'd guess they just enjoyed the freedom, didn't consider it being in public.

That was 25-30 years ago, I can imagine what goes today.
If I get eaten by a bear I want some shredded clothing left.

I've seen some nekkedness on game cameras! LOL
Sightngrl is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
How did we evolve into nekkedness?
Sightngrl is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #16
Super Moderator
 
Terry_P's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Where it's warm
Posts: 10,499
Can't imagine being eaten by an animal. Your final resting place is in a few piles of crap.

Hey the word for camping now is glamping.

https://glampinghub.com/unitedstates...kout=&guests=2
Terry_P is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
44s Rock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Far Western WA.
Posts: 10,905
Just out of curiosity, getting back to the subject, what new knife did you get? Folder, fixed blade, brand, type? I ask, because I have them sagging the shelves, and drawers! I usually have three or four handy depending on the occasion.
44s Rock is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
RidgeRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Buck Ridge, Georgia
Posts: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44s Rock View Post
Just out of curiosity, getting back to the subject, what new knife did you get? Folder, fixed blade, brand, type? I ask, because I have them sagging the shelves, and drawers! I usually have three or four handy depending on the occasion.
Me too 44. I wish I could sell most of them. I finally decided to carry a fixed blade I had been sheltering for years. It is a Wilson Tactical, made by Bill Wilson's son when he first started making knives. I decided to use it as my daily knife and bought a sheath off ebay. lt's 7" overall with a 3 1/2" blade. It fits my lifestyle perfectly. I'd like to see everyone post a picture of their favorite knife.....or their daily carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5378.JPG (356.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5376.JPG (333.8 KB, 7 views)
RidgeRunner is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Sightngrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: in the wind or on the beach
Posts: 4,954
This one is a Gerber Strongarm fixed blade. I bought a non serrated edge because I wanted to be able to do the shaving, the others have various blades & lengths. I really like the molle mounting option sheath as I can attach it to a vest or bag. But it has several other mounting options too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gerb...xdF9hUmu1IJlM:
Sightngrl is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Terry_P's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Where it's warm
Posts: 10,499
My hunting knife made by S. Texas knifemaker Jack Sarnik:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01363.JPG (141.4 KB, 10 views)
Terry_P is offline  
Reply

  Gunner Forum > Gunner Forum > Survival


Search tags for this page

wood shaving uses survival

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List


Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Gunner Forum. All rights reserved.